Auburn Beautification Commission
November 15, 2021 at 5 pm at City Hall
Present: Glenn Thomas, Chuck Mason, Sue Secaur, Sarah Dibble
Call to order at 5:03
- Sue and Sarah planted crocuses at Seminary Park
- Claire planted crocuses along the North Street Cemetery
- We need to identify some other places to
- We can also plant our daffodils, grape hyacinth, and snowdrops around the BID sign on Clark Street. The BID has already planted some nice bushes and mulches a garden there, but the flowers will add nice color.
- Glenn recommends planting crocuses around Clifford Park.
- Sue recommends lily of the valley, which spreads nicely and smells good.
- Freedom Park could use some flowers in the grass but Chuck notes that the BID will be adding abstract art (thanks to DRI money) there.
- Claire suggested the space between the arterial halves, but Chuck notes it is privately held.
- Bradford Street playground is still under construction.
- We could add flowers near the Welcome to Auburn signs.
- We could add crocus at St Francis Playground, behind NYSEG, near Underwood Street.
- We could also add crocus at the Columbian Playground.
- We could also add crocus around the cross at Pomeroy Park.
- Solar lights
- We should remove the solar lights at Genesee Street, Lake Ave, and Franklin/Fulton spots. They can be housed at Sarah’s house for the winter.
- Glenn has volunteered to take those out.
- Project ideas
- The new Fire House has some slight landscaping, but the firefighter memorial will move up to that location. They’d like to leave green space plain for public events.
- New Members
- Sue has a friend, Mike Novak, who might be interested in helping us do planting. Hopefully we can entice him to join.
- ABC Recognition Awards
- The group discussed developing ADT-sized yard signs to hand out and take pictures, recognizing beautiful spots in Auburn.
- We could take nominations.
- BID Window Art
- The BID is hosting their annual window art contest. Claire will take pictures of the art as it comes out and send it to Sarah for the social media accounts.
- Motion to adjourn at 5:45
Next meeting: Monday, December 20, we’ll meet at Prison City at 5 pm